Following the Confederate defeat at Pea Ridge, Arkansas, in March, 1862, the Confederacy lost most of northwestern Arkansas to Union occupation. Confederate leaders focused their primary attention on the defense of Corinth and, ultimately, Vicksburg, Mississippi. For this, they needed to bolster Confederate forces operating in western Tennessee and Mississippi. Consequently, 22,000 Confederate soldiers, most of the Confederate military force in Arkansas, were transferred east of the Mississippi River in the spring of 1862, leaving only about 1,000 Confederates in that state. Determined to recruit men to replace those transferred to the east, Confederate authorities sent a number of officers into Missouri, Colonel Joseph C. Porter is one of the best known of these recruiters. Porter returned to his home in Lewis County, Missouri, from Arkansas in early April, 1862. He spent the following two months quietly making preparations for his recruiting campaign, by establishing a system of guides and couriers, stashing caches of ammunition and other supplies, and enlisting men. By mid-June he was ready to begin active operations from his base at Whaley’s Mill in Lewis County.
On July 28, 1862, a Union cavalry column was ambushed by a Confederate force under Porter near present-day Calwood in Callaway County, Missouri. For approximately four hours on a hot July afternoon, hundreds of men fought a hotly contested battle not far from Auxvasse Creek, a tributary of the Missouri River, near a place called Moore’s Mill. This was a turning point in Porter’s 1862 Raid.
(back to top)
Scotland County is in the northernmost tier of Missouri counties, bordering Iowa. On July 18, 1862, following incidents at Cherry Hill and at the Scotland County seat of Memphis, Porter determined to set an ambush for Union cavalry that were in pursuit. He carried out his plan near the modern town of Bible Grove, about seven miles southwest of Memphis. Porter’s adversary was composed for the most part of the Second Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, known as “Merrill’s Horse,” commanded by Major John Y. Clopper.
At a bridge over Fabius Creek near Vassar Hill, Porter left a detail of men to feign that they were destroying the structure, while he proceeded two to two and a half miles further to deploy his men for an ambush along the road. He selected an area of “dense woods” on a hill and directed his men to dismount, hitch their horses in a secure concealed place, lie down in prone positions, and await the Federal column. Soon the decoys from the bridge rode past the ambush spot, followed by an advance scouting party from the Union column. A volley was fired by Porter’s men at close range and all but three of the 21-man advance party were unhorsed. The three mounted men raced back to warn the main column of the ambush. In the meantime, Porter repositioned his men in a new ambush location along the road a half mile to the north.
Clopper’s Second Missouri cavalrymen were the first element of the column to arrive, and another advance party rode into the second ambush. This time surprise was not complete, but the advance party suffered casualties before rejoining the main column. Clopper ordered a series of costly mounted charges at the concealed Confederates, but was not successful in dislodging them. It is generally conceded that the Merrill’s Horse troopers charged the Confederate position six or seven times. Major Rogers came up with his 11th MSM Cavalry troopers, dismounted them, and joined the fight. While the Union troops withdrew some distance to regroup, the Confederates withdrew from the battlefield and resumed their march.
The Battle of Vassar Hill is also known as “Oak Ridge” and “Pierce’s Mill.”
(back to top)
Porter left the fight at Vassar Hill, ranging west then south. Clopper’s and Rogers’s cavalry pursued him toward Florida in Monroe County, where Porter arrived early in the morning of July 22. Porter’s column passed quietly through this village and made a temporary camp about a mile away, on the South Fork of the Salt River. He had eluded his pursuers who trailed him from Vassar Hill.
A detachment of the Third Iowa Cavalry under the command of Major Henry C. Caldwell occupied Florida. About sunrise Porter’s commissary officer entered the village for supplies and found his party being fired on by Caldwell’s troopers.
In the sharp engagement Caldwell lost 26 men killed, wounded, and missing. The Confederates lost two killed and two wounded. The Iowa cavalrymen retreated and Porter’s men returned to camp to feed themselves and their horses.
(back to top)
Santa Fe (pronounced Santa FEE) is a small community near the southern boundary of Monroe County, ten miles south of Florida. Just south of Santa Fe, the South Fork of the Salt River cuts a deep valley in an otherwise level landscape, and here is located a feature long known as Botts’ Bluff.
Porter’s men proceeded southward on the day of the fight in Florida, then camped near Santa Fe at daylight on the morning of July 23. The men and horses rested for 30 hours. In the afternoon of July 24 the column resumed its march southward. After proceeding only a mile or two, Porter’s lead companies (those commanded by Captains Porter and Penny) learned of the presence of Federals on the road ahead of them. Porter closed up his column and took a defensive position about a half mile to his left, and deployed his men in prone positions behind the cover afforded by a bank and two large fallen logs. The Federals detected the Confederate position and opened fire, which was returned. Both sides fired on each other for a time, and then the Federals withdrew from sight. Each side sent out pickets to scout the position of the other. The Federal pickets withdrew and the Confederate pickets reported the loss of contact, which was confirmed by two mounted scouts sent out by Porter.
The Battle of Santa Fe is also known as “Botts’ Bluff” and “Botts’ Farm.”
(back to top)
Porter left Botts’ Bluff following the engagement there, traveling in a southwesterly direction until he went into camp at daybreak on July 25 at a place called the Elston Farm in Audrain County. That night, he moved into neighboring Boone County, where he and his men camped through the day.
Brown’s Spring feeds Auxvasse Creek, and lies in a valley sheltered on three sides by commanding bluffs, about 10 miles due north of Fulton, Missouri. Porter traveled some fifteen or twenty miles from the Boone County camp to reach Brown’s Spring early on Saturday, July 26, 1862. There, he was soon joined by the Blackfoot Rangers, about 65 men led by Captain L.M. Frost and Lieutenant John Bowles, and by Alvin Cobb with about 75 guerrillas from Montgomery County. Frost and Bowles had rendezvoused on the 26th at a country church in Boone County, 20 miles distant, called Mt. Zion. The Blackfoot Rangers left Mt. Zion Church just ahead of contingents of the 2nd Missouri and 3rd Iowa cavalries.
On July 26, Colonel Odon Guitar, who was in charge of the Federal garrison at Jefferson City, received orders from District of Missouri commander Brigadier General John M. Schofield to send two companies of his regiment across the Missouri River to link up with Lieutenant Colonel William F. Shaffer of the Second Missouri Volunteer Cavalry at Columbia. Guitar also received reports that Porter had arrived at Brown’s Spring with 600 to 900 men (which reports were highly exaggerated). Guitar crossed the Missouri River at Jefferson City in the evening of July 26 with 100 men selected from Companies E, F, G, and H of his Ninth Missouri State Militia Cavalry, together with a section of two guns of the Third Indiana Battery under the command of 1st Lieutenant Adolphus G. Armington. The column marched throughout the night and reached Fulton about daylight on Sunday, July 27, where they found Captain George Duffield with 80 men of Company E of the Third Iowa Volunteer Cavalry. The augmented force marched on Brown’s Spring. Porter’s scouts reported the approach of Guitar’s small force, and for this reason Porter ordered the camp at Brown’s Spring evacuated. The Confederates left in small groups, instructed to reassemble at a point about one-half mile to the northeast of the spring. There, the men dismounted and marched back to within a few hundred yards of the spring, where they lay down in line of battle and awaited Guitar’s approach. When Guitar did not arrive as expected, the ambush was called off.
The Federals approached the vicinity of Brown’s Spring about 1 p.m. At approximately one mile south of the spring, Guitar sent Duffield’s partial company north along the road to the north (i.e., left) bank of the Auxvasse, where he was ordered to dismount and position his men along a path between the road and the spring, “to await the retreat of the enemy or to come up in his rear in case he made a stand at the Spring”. In the meantime, Guitar moved the rest of his force (about 136 men) and the artillery in a northeasterly direction toward the presumed location of Porter’s camp. In an open field about 400 yards southeast of the Confederate camp Guitar dismounted his men and ordered Captain Henry S. Glaze to move toward the camp with 50 men and engage the enemy, if found. While this movement was taking place, Guitar received word that a small party of the enemy had been spotted about a half mile to his right, or generally to the east or northeast. Guitar dispatched Captain Henry N. Cook with 20 men to reconnoiter in that direction. At the edge of the brush, Cook found 10 to 15 Confederates emerging from the timber and fired on them, unhorsing three of them, one of whom was mortally wounded and another seriously. Glaze eventually reached the camp site and reported back that it had been hastily abandoned, with one wagon, a quantity of provisions, several sheep, and a prepared meal having been left behind. It was surmised that Porter’s force had dispersed to the northeast. Captain Duffield was recalled from the north bank and Guitar’s men camped for the night at their initial position southeast of the camp.
(back to top)
Porter’s men spent the night on the property of Thomas Pratt, which was within a few miles of Brown’s Spring. On the morning of July 28, Porter had a local resident, David J. Judy, guide him to the Old Auxvasse Presbyterian Church on the St. Charles road. From there it would have been easy for the Confederate column to proceed southward to reach a “wagon road” at Moore’s Mill (current Highway JJ).
At daylight on Monday, July 28th, Guitar sent Lieutenant Julius Pinhard with 25 men across Auxvasse Creek to the north (i.e., left) bank, with orders to move down the north side of the creek. He also ordered Lieutenant Horace A. Spencer of Company E, Third Iowa Cavalry, to move down the south side (i.e., right bank) with 25 men as an advance scouting party.
Believing that Porter was moving southward along the Auxvasse, Guitar moved toward the place where he believed Porter had encamped the previous night after leaving the Brown’s Spring camp. On reaching the St. Charles road, Guitar encountered an advance party of Shaffer’s men under Captain William H. Higdon. Together they advanced along the St. Charles road to a point near the crossing of the Auxvasse, where the remainder of Shaffer’s column joined Guitar’s force.
Guitar ordered Shaffer, with the Second Missouri Cavalry (306 men), the two companies of the Tenth MSM Cavalry (120 men), and independent company called the Red Rovers (38 men), about 461 men in all, to cross the Auxvasse and proceed down the east side (left bank) of the creek and “as near to it as practicable”. With the rest of his men, including Caldwell’s Third Iowa troopers, now detached from Shaffer’s column, Guitar proceeded down the west side (right bank) of the creek, presumably along a roadway to facilitate transport of the artillery. If the enemy were engaged by either column, the other would be able to hear the shooting and could come to its support.
In the meantime, Porter’s men, having left the road and traveled east toward the Auxvasse, found a suitable place to set an ambush and made a temporary day camp nearby. The principal chronicler of Porter’s Raid and the Battle of Moore’s Mill is Joseph A. Mudd, who rode with Porter until the Battle of Moore’s Mill. In his 1909 book With Porter in North Missouri; A Chapter in the History of the War between the States, Mudd described the scene:
We hitched our horses in a sheltered valley, placed before them the remaining sheaves of oats, made ready as to guns and ammunition, and cooked a rather slim ration of flour, but before it was ready the order was passed around to form in line of battle. We marched about five hundred yards to the side of the road, and lying on the ground in the thick brush, awaited the enemy. In about an hour, and at noon or a little before, they came.
According to Guitar’s after-action Report, “through some misapprehension of orders, and in their eagerness,” Guitar’s column shot ahead and the advance party (Lieutenant Spencer’s 25 men of Company E, Third Iowa) proceeded into the ambush, receiving a fierce volley of fire from east of the road. The advance party wheeled into line and returned fire. Guitar, who had been galloping to catch up with the advance, arrived and quickly ordered the men to dismount. The remainder of Guitar’s column came up and he ordered them to dismount and deploy in the woods “on the right and left of the road.”
The Confederates kept up a continual fire, chiefly on the center of the Union line, while the Federals returned fire. Major Henry C. Caldwell arrived with the men from the Third Iowa Cavalry and was ordered to take position on the Union right , in order to prevent its being flanked; this he did by advancing “into the woods 70 or 80 yards east of the road,” according to Guitar’s Report. Both sides exchanged fire for a time.
Mudd described Colonel Guitar as being much excited, “and he roared out, `Bring on them cannon.'” One of the Third Indiana Battery guns was brought forward and positioned on the road, at the center of the Union line. Guitar states that at this point the road was so narrow that the gun had to be unlimbered and brought forward by hand. Rebels were spotted crossing to the west side of the road, presumably beyond the Union left flank, so Guitar ordered Armington to fire shell and canister at them from the first gun, positioned on the road. He also ordered the second gun to take position in the rear of the Union line and to shell the woods “upon our left”. This shelling, combined with an advance of the Union left wing, forced the Confederates back to the east side of the road.
A brief lull in the fighting ensued, during which the Union troops advanced, with Captains Duffield and Cook on the right, Major Caldwell on the extreme left, and Captain Glaze and Lieutenant John V. Dunn immediately left of the center of the line. Porter’s men opened a heavy fire on the Union left wing and center, and the Confederates charged toward the forward gun, which was positioned on the road at the Federals’ center. According to Guitar, the rebel fire killed and wounded four of the gunners manning the cannon, as well as quite a number of others in the immediate vicinity of the gun. The remaining gunner is said to have fired a charge of canister into the charging Confederates, which drove them back. According to Guitar’s report, Porter’s men made two more charges to capture the gun, but were unsuccessful.
At this point in the battle, Lieutenant Colonel Shaffer arrived from the east side (i.e., left bank) of the Auxvasse with approximately 460 men. Shaffer’s column had been sent to the east side (i.e., left bank) of Auxvasse Creek, where they heard the sound of battle now raging on the west side. ordered Shaffer’s troopers to dismount and take position, with one company (G of the Second Missouri Cavalry) on the extreme right, one company held in reserve, and the rest of the men placed on the extreme left. In taking position, some of the men were exposed to enemy fire and Company K of the Second Missouri Cavalry in particular “suffered seriously,” losing its Lieutenant Joseph V. Myers. When the fresh troops were in position, Guitar ordered the entire line to advance. The men did so, and “raising a wild shout of triumph, rushed upon the enemy, completely routing and driving him from the field”.
According to Mudd, the battle lasted four hours, from about noon to about 4 p.m. Mudd reported that by 3 p.m. the Confederates were running short of ammunition, which may have been an important factor in closing the engagement. Porter’s men subsequently retreated in good order. They were ordered to withdraw and Mudd noted that they simply walked away from the battlefield. The order did not reach two companies of Confederates commanded by Captain Sylvester B. (Wes) Penny, a very popular officer with the men, and Captain James W. Porter, brother to the colonel. Mudd relates that the men in these two companies were puzzled to see their comrades walk off the battlefield, but they held their position until a messenger belatedly informed them of the order to withdraw. During the late withdrawal of these two companies, at a similarly casual pace, several men were wounded and Captain Penny was hit in the breast by a canister shot and killed while assisting with the evacuation of a wounded comrade. His body was subsequently buried “right close to a farmhouse owned by a Mr. Strother,” as was reported by Mary Wright, Penny’s sister.
The Confederate retreat was orderly and, as described by Mudd, not hurried or panic-stricken. When Mudd and the men of Penny’s company, one of the last to leave the field of battle, reached the day camp, the leading element of Porter’s command was already mounted and striking northward, while the dismounted men helped wounded comrades to mount and made other preparations to leave the camp. Mudd also states that Porter left his camp near Moore’s Mill two hours after dark and four or five hours after the battle.
As the Confederates withdrew, Guitar ordered two companies to mount and pursue them. The Rebels’ nearby day camp was eventually discovered, and a wagon and a few horses were captured. Instead of further pursuing the fleeing enemy, Guitar camped near the battlefield because of the fatigue, thirst, and hunger of his men. The dead and wounded of both sides were gathered from the battlefield, with the former being buried either the evening of July 28 or on July 29th near a store in town. Mudd marveled that Guitar’s follow-up pursuit was not more vigorous, but concluded that “we had given them enough for one day.”
Guitar searched for the rebels’ trail the next morning. He found it about four miles lower down the Auxvasse, and discovered that it doubled back northward. While he was engaged in this, Companies A and B of his regiment rejoined him and confirmed that the retreating Confederates had separated into two bodies of men. Those led by Porter set off to the northeast, toward the community of Wellsville, while “Cobb, Frost, and Purcell” are reported to have fled northwest through Concord.
(back to top)
After leaving Moore’s Mill, Porter’s column rode north by northwest, pausing in south central Monroe County to camp at what was known as Brace’s Old Camp on the Elk Fork of the Salt River, west of Florida. On July 30, Porter sent a detachment to the county seat of Paris, Missouri, which captured and briefly occupied the town.
Union Colonel John H. McNeil took up the chase at this point. McNeil was in command of the military District of Northeast Missouri, with headquarters in Palmyra (northwest of Hannibal). Porter’s capture of Paris, which marked his re-emergence after Moore’s Mill, is what put McNeil on the march. McNeil brought from Palmyra 120 men of the Second Missouri State Militia Cavalry, and was joined in route by elements of the First MSM Cavalry. McNeil arrived in Paris early on July 31 soon after Porter had evacuated the town. Porter feigned an attack on the town, which kept McNeil there in anticipation of its defense while Porter resumed his northward march. Porter crossed the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad and advanced on Newark in southeastern Knox County, 50 miles due north of Paris.
Newark was garrisoned by two companies from the 11th MSM Cavalry commanded by Captain W.W. Lair, about 75 to 80 men. Porter’s force divided and entered Newark from two directions in the late afternoon of August 1. The militiamen, who were camped near the town, occupied three buildings (at least one of them, a church, of sturdy brick construction) in the town and offered resistance to the Confederates. Both sides exchanged fire for a time, until two wagons were loaded with hay, to be pushed against the walls of the buildings and ignited. Under a flag of truce the surrender of the Federals was demanded, and after a brief consultation between Porter and Lair, they did so. The militiamen were paroled and released the following morning. The Federals suffered four killed (including Captain Lair’s son), six or seven wounded, and 72 prisoners. Porter’s loss was four to 20 killed, two mortally wounded, and about 20 to 30 men with survivable wounds.
McNeil’s column, leaving Paris and passing through Bethel in Shelby County, arrived in Newark just after Porter left the scene. McNeil, camping here the night of August 2, was a full day behind Porter. As he moved north, the men who had fought at Moore’s Mill joined him, and as they did they came under McNeil’s direct command. In addition, a battalion of the 11th MSM Cavalry, commanded by Maj. John F. Benjamin, joined McNeil in route to Newark from their base at Palmyra.
(back to top)
After Newark, Porter’s force moved north along the border of Knox and Lewis County, where it combined with another group of Confederate recruits, commanded by Colonels Frisby McCullough and Cyrus Franklin. The combined force camped near present day Forest Springs in Knox County the night of August 2. McCullough and Franklin had returned after menacing Canton, on the Mississippi River some 25 miles to the east. Over the next three days, Porter moved north and west. Word reached Porter that a local guerrilla named Tice Cain had taken possession of Kirksville, a town of about 600 residents in Adair County, so on August 5 Porter ordered his column to march toward Kirksville, with the intent to stage yet another ambush there. Porter reached Kirksville early in the morning of August 6. He had at this time the most Confederates he ever had under his command, though many of them were undisciplined and poorly armed or not armed at all. Porter deployed several hundred men in the town itself, concealed behind the cover of buildings and fences. He placed a smaller number of his men in the cornfields outside the town, but placed most of his troops in the woods to the west of Kirksville, between the town and the Chariton River, to act as a large but poorly armed reserve.
McNeil’s main body moved slowly after Newark, reaching the farm of a southern sympathizer by the name of Kendrick on Troublesome Creek, where they camped on August 3. His column made barely 10 miles that day. The Union troops began closing in on Porter in the bottoms of the North Fabius River at Clapp’s Ford in Lewis County. Benjamin’s Eleventh MSM Cavalry chased Porter to a point ten miles south of Memphis, Missouri, nearly clashing with the Confederate rear guard, but was stymied by a destroyed bridge.
On August 6, 1862, at mid-morning, McNeil’s advance reached the outskirts of Kirksville, establishing a base of operations at the William Parcell House east of the city. After some reconnoitering, they deployed in line of battle to the east and northeast of the town, largely unaware of the Confederate dispositions. McNeil had fewer men than Porter but they were better armed and trained, and had the advantage of five artillery pieces, including the two Third Indiana Battery guns that were used at Moore’s Mill. A scouting party of eight volunteers commanded by Lieutenant John N. Cowdrey of the Second Missouri Volunteer Cavalry rode into town and dashed around the courthouse square. Porter’s undisciplined men concealed in the town poured a voluminous fire on them, revealing their presence. Knowing as a result that large numbers of Confederates were concealed within the town, McNeil’s artillery and dismounted cavalrymen opened fire, with devastating results for the rebels. Their weapons were more capable of longer-range effect than were Porter’s firearms, and the Confederates were soon driven from the fields and the town into the woods west of the village. The retreat turned into a rout, and Porter’s men sought to cross the Chariton. The pursuing Union cavalrymen turned back when they perceived that the fleeing Confederates had gained the western bank of the river. The Battle of Kirksville ended in a decisive Union victory. McNeil claimed only five Federals killed and 25 to 32 wounded. He estimated the Confederate loss at 150 killed, 300 to 400 wounded, and 47 prisoners.
(back to top)
By September 12, Porter had regrouped, at least partly. On that date, with 400 men, he occupied Palmyra with only minor loss (one man killed and one or two wounded). The town’s defenders lost one civilian resident killed and three militiamen wounded. Most of the town’s militia garrison took cover in the courthouse and successfully defended themselves, while others fled to Hannibal. Forty-five or more Confederate prisoners were released from the jail, and the office of the Provost Marshal, who had fled the town, was raided and many parole bond records of former Confederate prisoners were destroyed. A Federal soldier “who was in jail for shooting a prisoner” was taken outside the town and shot dead. An aged local Union zealot and informer named Andrew Allsman was taken prisoner and kept with the Confederates when they left the town. He was murdered several days later, a circumstance that resulted in the infamous retaliatory “Palmyra Massacre” – the Federal execution of ten Confederate prisoners – a little over a month later.
(back to top)
Porter withdrew from Palmyra, moving with his men to his old camp at Whaley’s Mill. Built by Captain Franklin Whaley (his title dated to the Black Hawk War), the mill stood on the South Fabius River, a mile south of Steffenville near where the boundaries of Knox, Lewis and Shelby counties intersect. Whaley’s Mill was in Lewis County; two or three miles to the south, in Shelby County, was the home and farm of Judge Sylvanias Bragg. Bragg had given land for the erection of a school, which was established in 1841.
McNeil, while at Monticello in Lewis County, received word of the capture of Palmyra and marched in pursuit of Porter. Porter’s trail led McNeil to the vicinity of Newark. A local resident guided McNeil to Porter’s camp near Whaley’s Mill. There, on September 14, McNeil drove in the Confederate pickets, then entered the camp to find it hastily abandoned, the evidence suggesting that its occupants were preparing to move south. Porter’s men fled along the south bank of the South Fabius, taking a circuitous route, with McNeil’s cavalrymen of the Second and Eleventh MSM Cavalry, close at their heels. Porter reached Bragg’s Schoolhouse, but had barely enough time to disband his forces, which is what he did. It was reported that six Confederates were killed in the running fight from Whaley’s Mill.
McNeil established headquarters in Judge Bragg’s residence, and on the next morning executed two prisoners from the previous days fighting, who found had violated their oaths. Before returning to Palmyra, McNeil had Whaley’s Mill burned to the ground. This marked virtually the end of Porter’s 1862 Raid, which began at Whaley’s Mill in April, 1862.
(back to top)
There is almost nothing in the record that reflects Porter’s movements in the month that followed the fight at Bragg’s Schoolhouse. The last documented incident of the Raid occurred on October 16, 1862 in and near Portland, a Missouri River town that is 12 or so miles south southeast of the Moore’s Mill battlefield. A first-person account of this incident is contained in the Report of Army Surgeon John E. Bruere, who found himself in command of a battalion of Missouri Militia Cavalry when the commanding officer was injured.
Porter is believed to have been at the head of a large body of men who rendezvoused at Moore’s Mill in mid-October with the intention of crossing the Missouri River on the way to Arkansas. At Portland, the Confederates captured the steamboat Emelie when it put ashore to off-load passengers. The commandeered vessel was used to cross about 175 of men and their horses to the south bank; but before the Emilie returned for the rest of the men, a detachment of militia – 120 men commanded by Surgeon Bruere – attacked on the north shore. Seven of Porter’s men were killed and the rest dispersed. Soon after, Colonel Porter and three or four dozen followers crossed the Missouri in a skiff at Providence in Boone County.
Porter reached Arkansas, and several months later commanded a wing of Confederate General John Marmaduke’s cavalry in a raid into southwest Missouri. Porter was mortally wounded at Hartville, Missouri, on January 11, 1863. He was transported to Batesville, Arkansas, where he died on February 18, 1863.
(back to top)
The campaign summary contained on this page is condensed from the Report of Archeology Survey of the Battle of Moore’s Mill, “A Desperate and Bloody Fight: The Battle of Moore’s Mill, Callaway County, Missouri, July 28, 1862.” This Report may be accessed and downloaded from the Projects page of this website. The campaign history is fully annotated and sourced in the Report. The summary that appears on this page is principally derived from Mudd, Joseph A., With Porter in North Missouri; A Chapter in the History of the War between the States (Iowa City: Camp Pope Bookshop, 1992)(Reprint), and Mudd’s correspondence with participants in the campaign that he reported when the work was published in 1909; from Anonymous histories of North Missouri Counties published by the National Historical Company and Goodspeed Publishing in 1884 and 1887; and, from official reports and correspondence in United States. (1880). The War of the Rebellion: A compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. Washington: G.P.O.